Merry Cherry Squares
Contributed by Diane S.
1 cup sugar
2 cup margarine or butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups All-Purpose flour
3/4 cup coarsely chopped red candied cherries
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup coarsely chopped chocolate candies
Glaze (see below)
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Mix sugar, margarine, almond extract and egg in large bowl until well
3. Stir in flour, 1/2 cup of cherries and the salt.
4. Spread on ungreased jelly roll pan, 15½ x 1 inch.
5. Sprinkle with remaining cherries and the candies, press lightly.
6. Bake until very light brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely; drizzle
7. Cut into about 2-inch squares.
Makes 40 squares
Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar and 5 to 6 teaspoons warm water until
smooth and of desired consistency.
September 98 Recipes