General Helpful Hints
Forwarded by Susan
NOW Look what you can do with Alka Seltzer:
- I am a daycare mom with 10 children in my care,
including my own two young boys. I use a pizza cutter to cut everything
at mealtime: pancakes, french toast, grilled cheese, fish sticks,
sandwiches...anything that needs to be in bite size pieces for the
little ones! It's much faster and easier than using the knife and fork
- Use lifesavers candy to hold candles in place on your next birthday
Kids love 'em!
- Poke an egg with a small sewing needle before hard-boiling, and the egg
will peel with ease! And hold that needle in place with a magnet
- Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent
cream drips! (What a great idea!)
- Zap garlic cloves in the microwave for 15 seconds and the skins slip
off! You can also smash them with the flat of a cleaver or butcher
- Organize your magazines into groups according to Seasons (spring,
fall and winter). This way, you have several handy reference guides for
the appropriate Season/Holiday!
- Use a meat baster to "squeeze" your pancake batter onto the hot
griddle~ perfect shaped pancakes every time!
- Always spray your grill with nonstick cooking spray before grilling to
- To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the
But never store them with onions.
- To prevent egg shells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water
- Use a pastry blender to cut ground beef into small pieces after
- Sweeten whipped cream with confectioners' sugar instead of granulated
sugar~it will stay fluffy and hold it's shape better!
- For easy "meatloaf mixing," combine the ingredients with a potato
- If you don't have enough batter to fill all cupcake tins, pour 1
of water into the unfilled spots...this helps preserve the life of your
- To easily remove honey from a measuring spoon, first coat the spoon with
nonstick cooking spray!
- Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats in
pan~the marshmallow won't stick to your fingers!
- Mash and freeze ripe bananas, in one-cup portions, for use in later
no wasted bananas (or you can freeze them whole, peeled, in plastic
- To quickly use that frozen juice concentrate, simply mash it with a
masher~no need to wait for it to thaw! You can also nuke it for a few
seconds right in the cardboard container after you remove the top.
- To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room
and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before
- To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or
of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a
on stove-top~skillet will be much easier to clean now!
- Spray your tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in
tomato-based sauces~no more stains!
- To remove the smell from a tupperware container, crumple up a page of
newspaper and put it in the tupperware for a day. The smell will be gone!
- Transfer your jelly to a small plastic squeeze bottle~no more messy,
jars or knives! This also works well for homemade salad dressing!
- To aid in washing dishes, add a tablespoon of baking soda to your soapy
water~it softens hands while cutting through grease!
- Save your store-bought-bread bags and ties~they make perfect storage
for homemade bread!
- When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the
cake mix instead~no white mess on the outside of the cake! You can also
granulated sugar or cocoa.
- If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it's still cooking, drop in a
peeled potato~it absorbs the excess salt for an instant "fix me up"!
- Next time you need a quick ice pack, grab a bag of frozen vegetables out
your freezer~no watery leaks from a plastic baggie!
- When making bread, substitute nondairy creamer for the dry milk~it works
just as well!
- Rinse cooked, ground meat with water when draining off the fat~this
"wash away" even more fat!
- Slicing meat when partially frozen makes it easier to get thin slices.
- Instead of throwing away bread heels or leftover cornbread, use them to
make bread crumbs. For use later, store them in the freezer.
- Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator~it will
for weeks! But if it gets limp, soak it in ice water for 1/2 hour.
- Substitute half applesauce for the vegetable oil in your baking
recipes~ you'll greatly reduce the fat content! (Example: 1/2 cup
vegetable oil = 1/4 cup applesauce + 1/4 cup oil)
- To ripen avocados and bananas, enclose them in a brown paper bag with an
apple for 2-3 days!
- Brush beaten egg white over pie crust before baking to yield a
beautiful, glossy finish!
- In recipes calling for margarine, substitute reduced-calorie margarine
help cut back on fat! (Same goes with sour cream, milk, cheese, cream
cheese, and cream soups) But if you are baking, make sure you are using
non-corn oil margarine (corn oil is too soft for baking) and never
that just says "spread"-spreads have a high water content-so be sure it
- Place a slice of bread in hardened brown sugar to soften it back up!
can also soften brown sugar in the microwave-just put the whole bag or
in and nuke it about 10 seconds at a time. By keeping it
a sealed plastic bag in the freezer it won't harden at all.
- To keep brown sugar soft, keep a piece of apple in the box. Replace every so
- When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the
corns natural sweetness! (P.S. white corn is usually sweeter than
- When starting your garden seedlings indoors, plant the seeds in egg
halves. Simply crack the shells around the roots of your plants and
transplant them outdoors~the shell is a natural fertilizer!
- To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool,
water. If it sinks, it is fresh~if it rises to the surface, throw it
- Keep the linings from cereal boxes~they make great substitutes for waxed
- Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and rub it on your
forehead. The throbbing will go.
- Don't throw away the wrapper after removing a
of soap. Place it inside your shoe cabinet or shoe box. It's a cheap way
filling the air with a nice smell.
- If your polished furniture has small scratches, try rubbing them with
shelled walnut. You'll see the scratches just disappear!
- Here's a solution to smelly shoes. Put some tea leaves into a
pair of stockings and stuff each into a shoe. Leave for a day or two and
the smell just vanishes!
- Don't throw out all that leftover wine. Freeze into ice cubes for
use in casseroles and sauces.
- If you have problem opening jars, try using latex dishwashing gloves.
They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy!
- Tips for stamp collectors: Place the envelope in the freezer for a
hours. You'll then be able to easily lift the stamps off with a pair of
- To keep buttons from dropping off, dab a drop of clear nail polish
the thread to secure the buttons. This will harden and make it more
difficult for thread to break off.
- Are cockroaches in your home driving you mad? Try this tested trick.
Fill a large bowl with cheap wine and leave it under the sink. The pests
will drink it, get drunk, fall in the bowl and drown... easy!
- To avoid hurting your fingers while hammering metal nails into the
Hold the nails with a wooden clothes peg instead. So even if you miss,
won't get hurt.
- To take the tears out of chopping onions: Plug in a portable fan and
turn it to high. It'll help blow away the fumes from your eyes - no more
- Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub
potato on the stains and rinse with water.
- To get rid of itch from mosquito bite, try applying soap on the area
- Ants, ants, ants everywhere... Well, they are said to never cross a
chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or
ants tend to march- see for yourself!
- Egg shells can be used to clean glass bottles: Break the shells into
pieces, drop them into the bottle with a few drops of detergent and a
of water, and shake vigorously. Then rinse with water.
- Don't panic if your soup's too salty: Add cut raw potatoes and throw
them away once they are cooked and have absorbed the salt. Your soup's
- To return discolored socks to their original color, boil them in a
of water with a few slices of lemon. The fruit acts as a natural bleach.
- Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job and better
leave a lovely smell to the shine.
- If you have problem with slippery shoelaces which refuse to stay
tied, rub them with a candle and make them less slippery so that knots stay
- If you have stubborn grease stains on your work clothes, add a bottle
Coke with detergent. It'll help loosen the grease.
- Renew the features on your old faded dolls' faces by blending in a
cream foundation. Then apply a little rouge on the cheeks and for lips,
nail polish. Waterproof mascara can be used on eyes lashes.
- Dirty marks on your white court shoes: Just drop some medicated oil
piece of cloth and clean off those dirty marks on your white court
They'll be looking as good as new again.
- When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape before resorting to
tweezers or a needle. Simply put the scotch tape over the splinter, then
pull it off. Scotch tape removes most splinters painlessly and easily.
- For bee stings, apply Adolph's meat tenderizer to take away the pain and
September 98 Recipes
- Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes,
brush, and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous
- Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or
fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets.
- Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and
immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
- Clean a thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four
Alka-Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if
- Remove burned-on grease from a pot or pan. Fill the pot or pan with
drop in six Alka-Seltzer tablets, let soak for one hour, then scrub as
- Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer
down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few
minutes, then run the hot water.
- Get short-term relief from nicotine withdrawal symptoms. As long as
not on a low-sodium diet or have peptic ulcers, drink two Alka-Seltzer
tablets dissolved in a glass of water at every meal.
- Soothe insect bites. Dissolve two Alka-Seltzer tablets in a glass of
dip a cloth into the solution, and place the cloth on the bite for