Veggie Lasagna Florentine
Contributed by Diane S./Denise Smith
This is a recipe I created for my vegetarian sister-in-law after she ran the
Marine Corp Marathon in Washington, DC. I was not able to be there to cheer
her on so I sent this dish. It is actually better the next day but I have
never been able to keep my family out of it once they smell the aroma!
1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
1 onion, chopped
1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 finely chopped zucchini, medium
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 pinch brown sugar
1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
1 (16 ounce) container fat-free cottage cheese
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons dried basil
1. In a large pot with boiling salted water cook lasagna noodles until al
dente. Rinse with cool water and drain.
2. To make the red sauce, in a large skillet over medium heat saute the
chopped onions, mushrooms, minced garlic and sliced zucchini with olive oil
until vegetables are soft. Add both cans of crushed tomatoes, tomato paste,
oregano, brown sugar, salt to taste and blend together. Reduce heat and
simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make cheese filling, microwave frozen spinach until cooked.
Allow to cool and squeeze out excess water. Drain cottage cheese. Using a
mixer,combine cottage cheese, spinach, 1 tablespoon basil, salt to taste, 2
eggs, and 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese. Blend until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl combine shredded mozzarella cheese and grated
5. To assemble, in a 13x 9 lasagna dish layer: red sauce, noodles, cottage
cheese/spinach mixture, red sauce, mozzarella/Parmesan cheese, noodles,
cottage cheese/spinach mixture, red sauce, mozzarella/Parmesan cheese,
noodles, red sauce, mozzarella/Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle top with remaining
2 tablespoons of dried basil.
6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F (175 degree C) oven for 60 minutes. Let
stand for 10 minutes before serving.
September 98 Recipes