« 5/18/06 AM | Main | 5/20/06 »


2:33 PM We're home! Late this morning, the MDs came to Sophie's room with some unsettling news. Because Sophie had cultures done at Moses Cone (in Greensboro) and at UNC, there were two different labs running sensitivities. Although the two labs agreed on the identification of the bacteria, they did not agree on the sensitivity. UNC's lab had the bacteria sensitive to one drug (I will never get the name right, so I won't try) and Moses Cone had found sensitivity to another drug. I was certain that this would mean a setback, but, thankfully, it didn't. Because Sophie has had no more positive cultures, and because she has been fever free for quite some time now, the MDs at UNC think they've got the infection under control. Just to be on the safe side, however, they changed one of the two drugs that Sophie will be getting at home. Sophie will now be getting two IV antibiotics back-to-back at 8-hour intervals. She received the first back-to-back doses at the hospital this morning, and we are waiting for the pharmacy to ship the next ten days' worth of drugs. After the doses of antiobiotics, Sophie was "cut" free from the IV pole and we were ready to go. Actually, Sophie wanted to make a few more trips around the floor in her little pink car, which I referred to as her "victory lap." It was good to pack up and leave!

Sophie and I stopped at McDonald's on the way home and she ate pretty well--a whole hamburger (without the ham, she said). She fell asleep about 3 miles from our house, which is typical. I poured her into bed and haven't heard a peep out of her since.

Tonight our church is having a campout at a member's pond. Since it is our first night together at home as a family, I think we'll put in an appearance but then head home. It'll be so nice to be all under the same roof once again!

Thanks for all the support, encouragement, and prayers. We have certainly needed them and appreciated them this week.


I am sooooo happy to hear that you made it home! I checked this morning and did not see an update, so I was on pins and needles all day waiting to hear. I'm glad I took one more peek before I left work for the day. I know it will be wonderful being home (you appreciate it so much more after your big adventure, right?). Enjoy your weekend.

Good to hear that you are home. I hope that the round of antibiotics does the trick.