4:55PM Well, disregard everything that Susan posted earlier. Apparently, there was a gross and unfortunate miscommunication between the doctors and the nurses at the hospital, and Susan was given the very strong (but inaccurate) impression (several times) that they were clear to go home. As it turns out, Sophie's ANC did not improve over yesterday. In fact, it dropped from yesterday (down to 0.2 from 0.4). That, of course, means that her immune system is not yet gaining strength, so she'll need to stay for at least another night, which means at least another round of trauma with the blood draw and even greater anxiety that the IV she currently has (same one since Saturday night) will not hold out much longer and will need to be moved to another site. She's been stuck so many times in both hands and in her left elbow that I worry they will not be able to find an optimal spot for IVs and blood draws, but they're the experts, I guess.
I'm very, very disappointed and frustrated that Sophie is not home yet. Although I understand the medical reasons why she needs to be in the hospital, I'm tired of her being there, I'm tired of our family living separately, and I'm tired of Sophie having to suffer through the needle sticks. I'm totally in a funk as to what I should do tonight (home alone with Elisabeth). I'm in no shape to go anywhere and don't know where I would go if I could--the hospital is too far away. Hopefully, Elisabeth will be cooperative and we'll find a way to entertain ourselves for the evening. She has early release tomorrow, so we'll probably head up around lunch time. Maybe Sophie will come home tomorrow.