« 5/18/05 | Main | 5/20/05 »


10:30 PM (Randall posting): It's late! We just realized we haven't posted yet today. It's been a good day. Sophie was really, really tired today. She started lounging around not long after breakfast. In fact, we were starting to get worried about her, thinking maybe her counts were getting so low we needed to check in with UNC. She had a slight temperature again (99.6) as well. But, before long, her energy levels were back where we normally see them and she was dragging toys all through the house. No more temperature for the rest of the day, either.

Elisabeth had a short day at school today. Susan and Sophie picked her up at school while I went to a doctor's appointment and running errands. The girls all took naps and had quiet rest while I was out and about, and dinner was almost ready by the time I got home. Tomorrow will be another day of running around, as there is an awards ceremony tomorrow morning at Elisabeth's school and we have a meeting with the gifted program teacher immediately afterwards. Elisabeth is expecting to make Principal's List again this term, which is great news. I can't believe that tomorrow is the last day of school for her. She will no longer be a first grader after tomorrow. Seems like just yesterday that we watched her get on the bus for the first time in August!

Sophie's latest trick is that she is making up words and languages. She was insisting this morning that I should not touch her blanket because it was "imbustible" (whatever that means). She then described it with another word that I'm certain is impossible to spell. It sort of reminds me of when Elisabeth named one of her stuffed animals "Shiganing" (basically impossible to spell, but you can get it phonetically).

The clinic checked in today to say they are implementing a new, staggered method of getting through all of the sedations (bone marrow aspirations, spinal taps) that they perform on Tuesday. Usually it is more or less first come, first served, which means it can be "zooish" as Dr. Gold says. I guess they're trying to hold more to a schedule so that everyone is not milling about all at once first thing in the morning (not good when so many of the kids have suppressed immune systems). They wanted to schedule Sophie at 8am, but Susan said that she would be surprised if we needed to go to the clinic for sedation on Tuesday (thinking Sophie's counts would still be too low) but also that 8am is a really hard time for us to shoot for given the drive and traffic. We can get there at 7:30 or 7:45, but trying to get there at 8:00 means we'll hit traffic. The upshot of all of this is that we have been rescheduled for 7:30am, and we'll wait to see if we need to be there or not.


Hello. I realized this morning that I gave you the wrong name of the nurse, I don't know where "Tara" came from. Her name is Erin and she was a SUPER nurse. Sorry, my brain has been on overload lately - I'm sure you know what I mean. Have a good day! Laura